- Makes 1 1/2 quarts
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nutter butter cookies
- 1/2 cup chocolate fudge topping ,softened
- In a medium saucepan whisk together cream, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla. Heat over medium heat until sugar dissolves, and mixture is steaming but not boiling. Stir frequently.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks until they have lightened in color, about 2 minutes.
- Use a ladle to slowly whisk some of the hot mixture into the eggs to temper them.
- Slowly whisk tempered eggs into the cream mixture. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the mixture reaches 170 degrees, thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Place a fine mesh sieve over the top of a bowl. Pour in ice cream. Stir in peanut butter. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cool, cover and refrigerate 6 – 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready, freeze ice cream according to manufacturers directions. During the last 5 minutes, add in the chopped cookies.
- Spoon 1/3 of the ice cream into a loaf pan, drizzle 1/3 of the fudge topping on top, repeat with the remaining ice cream and fudge. Cover and freeze until frozen about 4 hours. Serve.